Tuesday, March 21, 2006
One of the coolest features, and that eventually will become crucial, is the ability to connect to the internet from our Palm. Depending on the device, we must use one technology or another. The Treo for example, to be both PDA and phone, can use the data connection of our operator we either GSM , GPRS , UMTS or any other data transmission technologies available today. The advantage of this connection is that, where there is coverage, there will be internet. The problem is the price as connection fees are still prohibitive.
The Palm connectivity available wifi enable us, on the other hand, whenever we are in the coverage range of a wifi network (in our house, in a hotspot, etc), connect to internet so immediately. In this scenario, the cost and depends on who provides us access to that network. Setup is simple, as far we know the network key if encryption using WEP .
But there is a third way to connect our Palm internet, and it is through bluetooth . For that we need a computer with internet connection, such as a PC, and that has Bluetooth connectivity as well. For the PC, simply purchase a bluetooth USB adapter, which has a very low cost. There are even portable computers that already have integrated bluetooth series. The bluetooth connection is quite slower than the wifi, and has less coverage. But if our Palm already has bluetooth, it costs us nothing to use it to navigate without having to be sitting in front of the PC (bluetooth allows much more, but that's another post).
Navigating through bluetooth
What follows is going to explain the process of configuring the connection between a PC with Windows XP, with an
USB bluetooth adapter and a Tungsten E2. Some initial considerations, to avoid problems:
- If we connect to internet through a router, it is important that before you install anything, let's check the IP address of the router is not 192.168.0.1. If so change it to a different.
- On the other hand, if we are using a Tungsten T, it is important to have installed the PalmTungstenTUpdate_enUS.prc file, which is an update that Palm released at the time, and can be downloaded from their website.
- It is advisable to disable any firewall you have installed, to avoid problems. When everything works and we can turn again. And the same applies to Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) and / or Windows Home Networking.
Once you have made these checks, we can begin the process:
- The first point to note is that the default drivers that come with Windows XP are very basic and do not allow what we want. We need specific drivers of our adapter. In my case it is a SMC-BT10 and drivers are those of BlueSoleil . If your adapter is another, probably the drivers are different. It is important downloaded the latest drivers from the manufacturer's website adapter. For example, in my case with those who came on the CD I could not connect to internet (version 1.4), but with the latest (version 1.6) itself.
- Highlight your bluetooth adapter into a USB port that we have free on our PC. Windows will suggest some drivers, but canceled the installation. Then install the previously mentioned drivers. We will need to restart your computer for installation is complete.
- For our Palm can be detected by the PC, we have to activate bluetooth on it (in Preferences), and change the Discoverable option to another, so that computer can find it.
- Once you have restarted the PC, white and blue icon next to the clock bluetooth appears in the system tray. Double click and add our Palm as paired device to PC. To do this look for an option to search bluetooth devices or something similar. When it detects the Palm, we pair the device with the PC, and follow the steps we are showing at enter the password you want (but you must use it in the PC and Palm). Here depending on the drivers we use, the process will be somewhat different.
We now have all the necessary software installed. Now we have to configure everything. First part of the PC:
- Open the Windows Control Panel, Network Connections folder. Always connecting to the internet, and a new created by the bluetooth drivers appears. Right-click on the link provided, and choose from the menu that pops up, the Properties option. A window opens, it let the tab called Advanced, activate the Allow other network users to connect through the Internet connection on this computer option and in the drop down list below, we chose the interface network who created the bluetooth drivers. Press accept, and you're sharing the internet connection of the PC with the bluetooth devices.
- In my case I had to go now configuring bluetooth drivers (double click on the icon that was created by the clock of windows), and enable LAN access service. In your case, this depends on the bluetooth drivers you setup, you is a matter of some research.
- Something important: do not confuse LAN (our network connects to the Internet) with PAN (another type of network you are not using here), because they are completely different things. Finally, a way to check that the bluetooth connection is properly configured, it go to its properties, and check that the IP address is 192.168.0.1, and the subnet mask 255.255.255.0.
Configuring network connection bluetooth
Now configure the connection in the Palm:
- Let the program Preferences and enter Network. In service we give the name you want (eg "PC by BT"). In connection deploy the list and choose Edit Connections .... Create a new, that will connect to LAN via Bluetooth. We also choose the device to use: press the button and detect nearby bluetooth devices. Should detect your PC, and select it.
- We accept these changes and return to the Network preferences. Press the Details ... button. Here we can choose to leave the DNS server address and the IP address of the Palm Automatic, or give them specific values (primary DNS 192.168.0.1, secondary blank, and IP 192.168.0.5. I have to leave these parameters automatically to work, but other internet connections, there will surely give these values. Each must prove which ones work.
- Finally, some computers may be necessary to define a login script. Click on Script ... and leave as seen in the image. To my E2 was not necessary, but for older models it might.
Configuring the connection type
Sensing my PC (mutsumi)
And you're finally all set. Now click on connect and everything should be fine. If not, we will have to try to change some parameters. In the original page of this procedure solutions to problems caused by routers, firewalls are described, etc. Here are the steps I followed to connect my Tungsten E2 internet via bluetooth, but may be different for other Palm, but not much. If it is determined to not work, we can simpre opt for Softic PPP , although payment automates this process. But following this guide, I have found that using only drivers bluetooth USB adapter, you can connect the Palm to the Internet without problems. So patience, courage, and the bull.