Monday, November 12, 2007
The development versions of Linux for Palm progressing well. For example, a distribution for Palm with good ripeness is Angstrom , based on Gentoo Linux and versions for Palm TX and Tungsten T5. As a graphic environment uses Opie , a fork of Qtopia focused on the PDAs.
Opie running on a Palm TX
If you've ever used Linux surely have tried graphical environments KDE and Gnome . For example Ubuntu uses Gnome, and Kubuntu KDE. As well, Qtopia is the basis of the graphic environment KDE, so let Opie and KDE are "brothers". Although not used in Angstrom, it is worth mentioning the other graphical environment for PDAs running Linux, called GPE , which uses the libraries GTK , GNOME base, another known graphical environment for Linux. So if on PCs with Linux have major options KDE and Gnome as graphical environments, PDA happens in the same com Opie and GPE.
GPE running on a Palm TX
Well, our friend Leo has posted on his blog a video and screenshots of Opie / Armstrong running on your TX. A part-time operating system load, about one minute because it is reading from the SD, not the main memory, I was surprised how quickly that start applications, taking into account the complexity of Linux as a system Operating compared for example with PalmOS. It makes me think that when a vesion of Linux for Palm optimized for these devices, such as ALP Palm Inc., the result can be more than satisfactory develops.
New most stable Linux for the Palm TX, in one package with everything you need version, just unzip the contents to the root of the SD card, run the Cocoboot that appear on the card Palm and ready for use
The Angstrom Linux video can be downloaded from the website of Linux for Palm . the instructions are simple:
- Download the complete package (eg "Palm TX (all)").
- Unzip the file and copy it to the root directory of the SD card from the Palm.
- Make a backup of the information of our Palm case.
- Run the "Cocoboot" program that will appear in our Palm installed, and make tap on the "Boot" option. This program will reset the Palm loading the Linux we have installed in place of PalmOS that brings Palm factory.
- Boot Linux. I enjoy it. On Geekzone we can read the opinions of those who have been tested.
To be aware of the progress of this Linux for TX, recommend follow the blog of its creator .
How would our TX with Angstrom / Opie instead of running PalmOS
For those who want to try Linux on your Palm, Leo has compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions that abusing your kindness, I will also include here, for those who have questions to try Linux on your Palm:
- Is it safe to load Linux: Absolutely, just run as a program mas and a Soft Reset is exited.
- Can I go back to PalmOS: Yes, you just have to restart the Palm.
- Did not lose information: No way, just reseteas and go back to how you were. HOWEVER ADVISE TO MAKE A BACKUP BEFORE TESTING.
- Can I use "X" device files you posted to "Y" device: NO, each package is for a specific device TX, T5 ...).
- Where do I download the most current version of Linux for my Palm: From Hack & Dev .
- Can I install applications on Linux: No, but bring a good set of apps to keep you occupied.
- Can you work only with Linux in Palm: Yes, Apps package which includes quite full.
- By resetting the Palm where they go the changes I made in Linux, are lost: NO, are saved in the image on the card, and Linux boot again there will your information.
- If my Palm is damaged you pay me? Hehehe, I'm afraid not, use at your own risk
- Is it useful to change the operating system on my Palm: It really depends on your point of view.
- Is this system to submit Acces this year, Acces Linux Platform: NO, this is a side project of porting Linux to Palm devices.