Monday, September 26, 2011
In these years of using PDAs and smartphones I could enjoy many games that although simple given the limited power (until recently) of the teams that was intended, had a gameplay and capacity comparable addiction best arcade games , console or PC. I recall with special fondness Space Trader , Lemonade Tycoon , Bike or Die , Vexed , and many others, all games that surprised me at the time so I just commented. A few days ago I have this feeling again with a game that can not be simple in its approach, but nevertheless it is having me hooked for hours: Planetary Wars .
It's a game I installed by chance, but a little research proves to be a more successful version appeared first iOS , and then ported to Android and WebOS , called Galcon . There are versions of the game online , PC , and is even used in algorithmic competitions .
Excellent strategy game with a very simple mechanical
The mechanics are simple:
- A portion of outer space appears with a series of planets of different sizes on the screen. We started installed in one of them (colored in green) and the enemy in another (colored red). The other planets are neutral (gray).
- A number appears on each planet. It represents the number of ships that are installed on it. If a team is busy, this number increases with time, and the rate at which it makes is proportional to the size of the planet. Therefore it is more interesting to have occupied a large than a small planet, in order to increase our fleet.
- The planets also have neutral number but this is fixed. It represents the number of ships that we must send the same to claim that planet for us.
- The goal is to conquer one by one all the planets, either neutral or occupied, to eliminate the opposing team. You win when there is no planet occupied (in red).
- To move our fleet from one planet to another simply we have to select it with your finger and drag it to the destination planet. We can move ships from various planets at a time just hanging over them the finger of a stroke (in Galcon this is not possible, change can select all the planets with a double tap). In any case automatically half of the ships stationed on each planet leave for your chosen destination.
- Each won game gives us a point, and every lost game one third remains for us.
- The game has great strategic component, as the result of the game can change in a resounding defeat to an overwhelming victory by attacking choose such small but easily conquered large planets but with many points, or first, if we try to conquer us first space or prefer fast attacking enemy planets slightly defended, etc.
The grace of the game is that a global score list in which we can see what position we are as we go winning games is maintained. And Galcon for example there is the possibility of playing in online multiplayer directly against players from all over the world.
Planetary Wars is free, although the original Galcon is payment (also not very expensive). There are many more free games that use the same mechanics as Planet Wars Lite , Solar Wars , Universe Conquest , Battle Star , Crystal Wars , Avid Planets and more, which gives an idea of the tremendous success of this game is having, and in my opinion right.
In short, a game that stands out by highly addictive it is and the number of different strategies that can, among other qualities play like that to start a game never know whether we will win or not, and that shows up with practice we are gradually gaining experience and being more effective in increasingly complex levels. Elijáis the application that you choose, I recommend you to try, because it really worthwhile.